Tips for effective pain relief from arthritis in Encinitas, CA
Arthritis pain can be debilitating, particularly during flare-ups that can strike at inconvenient times. At Seaside Rheumatology and Wellness in Encinitas, CA, you have an entire team of rheumatological professionals on your side. We are here to help you find relief from your pain so you can get back to doing the things that you love. Below, rheumatologist, Dr. Peter Lloyd offers tips for effective pain relief from arthritis.
Understand what causes your symptoms
There are over 100 different types of arthritis, and the underlying factors that drive your pain and other symptoms are different for each type. Some of the most common types of arthritis that affect adults in the United States include:
- Osteoarthritis is the most common form of arthritis; it is a degenerative joint disease that results in cartilage and bone damage in the joints and is due to a combination of genetic and environmental factors
- Rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune condition in which the synovium, or connective membrane in the joints, becomes inflamed and causes abnormal tissue growth ligaments, bone, and cartilage around the joints
- Psoriatic arthritis is also an autoimmune disease; it causes inflammation, swelling, and pain in the joints, ligaments, and tendons, and affects approximately 30 percent of people who have the skin condition psoriasis
- Gout is inflammatory arthritis that can develop when you have too much uric acid in your blood; it can cause swelling and excruciating pain in the affected joints and the big toe is most commonly affected
Even though the cause of your pain differs with each type of arthritis, they share many of the same triggers that can cause flare-ups and painful symptoms. Dr. Peter Lloyd can work with you to systematically identify your triggers so you can avoid those triggers or prepare accordingly when one of your triggers is impending. Some common triggers for arthritis pain include:
- Overactivity or repetitive motions using the joint
- Cold weather
- Gaining weight or carrying excess weight
- Consuming certain foods and beverages, such as alcohol and high-purine foods like shellfish
Work with a professional to regain joint mobility and strength
Physical therapy, occupational therapy, and chiropractic care can all be used to help you regain mobility in your joints. A physical therapist will conduct a comprehensive examination of your joints and recommend multiple methods for regaining the most movement and function in your joints possible while minimizing your level of pain. During physical therapy, you will receive instructions on exercises to do at home to help you gain strength and flexibility in the affected joints so you can start moving freely again. Manual therapy and/or massage can also be used by professionals to manipulate your joints and provide relief from pain. However, manual therapy is not indicated for some patients, so it is important to talk with your doctor prior to seeking this type of treatment.
Try complementary and alternative therapies such as yoga and acupuncture
A variety of effective complementary and alternative therapies have helped many patients regain their mobility and alleviate pain.
- Tai chi is an ancient Chinese martial arts form that is used today by people worldwide to condition their bodies. Aside from providing pain relief and increased range of motion in your joints, it can also boost your cardiovascular and respiratory function and improve your flexibility and strength
- Yoga is another ancient practice that has wide-ranging benefits like those of tai chi. There are many forms of yoga and it is important to work with a practitioner that is knowledgeable about the proper form and posture, as well as modifications for your physical condition.
- Acupuncture uses ultra-fine needles inserted into precise locations in the body to restore optimal energy circulation (“qi”) throughout your body. Many people find that acupuncture provides effective relief from their arthritis pain.
Talk to your doctor about medications and procedures that can help
Arthritis research is continually underway and has led to many therapeutic advances that can provide effective pain relief and help return mobility to your joints. Dr. Lloyd can suggest specific over the counter or prescription medications that can help ease your pain based on the specific type of arthritis that you have and your individual needs. In addition, procedures such as joint injections and aspiration can help provide immense relief.
With a wide range of effective pain management techniques, you do not need to suffer from debilitating arthritis pain. Call Dr. Peter Lloyd at Seaside Rheumatology and Wellness Center in Encinitas, CA today to learn more about the pain relief techniques that may work for you. Our office can be reached at 760-452-2080 or you can schedule an appointment online.Back to Home Page